How does one handle bad reviews? Through my experience, I believe it’s best practice that one should respond “publicly” to all online reviews. (Unless the reviewer is obviously making unreasonable claims).
Here are some good reasons why. When you respond publicly to online reviews you are doing two things: One, you are letting the reviewer know you are listening, and that you take Yelp and Trip Advisor reviews seriously. Secondly, by responding to online reviews you tell the next prospective customer that although things may not be perfect, you are happy to help, and make efforts to correct any situation.
Most importantly, when you receive a bad review DO NOT respond immediately to the review. Employ the following strategy: “Stop, Drop, and Roll”.
Stop. Don’t do anything while your upset, ask for help from a 3rd party on how to proceed. Drop. Sleep on it, give yourself some time to think it through thoughtfully. Lastly, roll, move forward with what your team has decided.
We are happy to help you manage your Yelp, Trip Advisor and Google + reviews. I always suggest to clients to speak to the reviewer as if they were still in your business and not online.
Give us a call at 323-382-1469 to discuss your social media needs further.
Take control of your online reputation by claiming your Yelp business listing. It’s simple and FREE.
By claiming your business listing you’ll be able to respond publicly and privately to online reviews, add photos, and additional information about your business such as, hours, website address, specialties, history, and an owner introduction.
By claiming your Yelp page and taking the time to add supplemental information your chances of increased search visibility and ranking will improve on Yelp and on all other search engines as well. Yelp is indexed by Google, Bing, Yahoo, and other major search engines and used in their rankings.
Follow these simple steps to take control of your online reputation.
- Visit https://biz.yelp.com
- Click on Create your free account now.
- Search for your business – Select your business from the list. If you don’t see your business, select add your business to Yelp at the very bottom of the page. Fill out the information Yelp is asking for and click the submit button.
- If your business is on Yelp, select the correct listing and follow the instructions on how to claim your business. This involves creating a Yelp account, don’t worry it’s free. Yelp’s automated system will call you and you will need to enter a 4-digit code over the phone. This is done to ensure that someone else will not be able to claim your business.
Now that this is done, time to complete your profile. As I mentioned earlier filling out the specialties, history, and meet the owner sections is one of the most important parts. It is very important to use key words in these sections to ensure your business is found when someone is searching.
Take the following final step to complete your yelp profile:
1. Go to Account Information and select “Email Notification and Language Settings”, ensure that “Send me an email when someone reviews my business is selected”. This feature will alert you each time your business is reviewed.
2. Select “Business Information” and add your hours, photos, website address, specialties, history, and meet the owner.
This entire process should only take you about an hour to complete and is a must have tool to grow your business. Before most people try out a new restaurant or service they will go to Yelp first. It’s important to maintain your footing there and present a positive, informative Yelp presence.